Wednesday, July 21, 2021

#870 OIC Monitoring and Logging Analytics - adding Business Data to Dashboards

Integration Insight is THE solution for business user facing Dashboards on top of your integrations and processes. However, you can also surface business / payload data in Logging analytics. The example below is again based on the OIC Activity Stream logs. 







Now we do suggest turning off logging for your production integrations, however, there may be reasons for logging, such as for compliance purposes e.g. I need to prove when order nr 123 was processed. The OIC LOG action will still write to the OIC Activity Stream, even when flow logging has not been enabled. 

Here is my simple order processing integration - 


 













I activate, without enabling logging - 









I test - 














Check out the Activity Stream - 








I see the relevant log entry in Logging Analytics - 










Note, there is only 1 log entry for this integration flow, a small overhead. The admin needs a dashboard that shows which products are being ordered, in my case - different brews. So I need to parse the message and extract 'keg of Spalter Dunkel' - Spalter Dunkel is a great beer from my local brewery here in Franconia. Click here for the beer.

I need to add an extended field to the Logging Analytics Source for this value - 










Here is the regex - 













The extract expression contains a little "Schoenheitsfehler" - I have included the order nr, as you maybe have noticed. I really need to change the LOG action just to log the product.

But, it is an imperfect world, so weiter, weiter!

I have used the pre-seeded field - Message Info - as the field to hold the product name. 

The Log Explorer query is very simple -






















I add a couple of more orders -










I add this to an existing Dashboard - 








there are other Visualizations available, for example - 

1. Line 


 

2. Word Cloud - 





3. Tree Map - 





4. Sunburst -


 









There are others as well - try them out!










Great stuff - now time for a pint - 










No comments: