Thursday, July 30, 2026

#1158 - OIC 26.07 - New Service Limit for Async Queue Depth

Introduction 

In Oracle Integration Cloud (OIC), asynchronous requests decouple the client from the backend process using a fire-and-forget message-queuing mechanism. This pattern maximizes throughput, protects downstream systems from spikes in traffic, and makes efficient use of integration resources.

Great to know! However, we did introduce a service limit; on this with the 26.07 release this is based on the number of message packs assigned to the OIC instance.

The actual formula is built up as follows -
Take the number of messages per hour * 10. I have 1 message pack assigned so this equates to 5000 * 10. That gives us 50k, which is the limit.

However, we do add a buffer of 10% of top of this, so for 50k, that gives us 55k.


As you can see, the upper limit is 600k, however, this can be increased, if necessary. For such, you would need to contact Oracle, open an SR etc.

Hitting the Limit


I will run a test on an OIC 26.07 instance, but, before doing that, let's check the Async Queue Depth service metric for that instance -

As you can see, nothing in the Queue.

I will run the following async integration that, in turn, invokes a sync integration. The sync integration includes a WAIT, set to 120 seconds.
That's how I build up the queue.

I test from SOAPUI as follows - 

Test run 1 creates 20k flows.


Here we see the concurrency limit for async being enforced.

I check the service metrics and see the queue building up - the service metric query I use is as follows - AsyncInboundRequestsDepth[1m]{resourceId = "yourOCID"}.grouping().max()

20000 - 615 = 19385.

I run another 20k test - 

40000 - 1269 = 38731

Now for a 3rd SOAPUI test - 

and then a 4th run - 

Here the queue levels out, i.e. it does not increase.


I now run the same async integration from within OIC - 

Error message - 
429 Too Many Requests

{"type":"429","title":"Too busy right now. Please retry later.","detail":"The service is temporarily busy. Please retry later."}


Summa Summarum


Please be aware of this new limit, especially if you are prone to huge spikes in traffic. Again, this limit can be raised Please contact your friends at Oracle Support if you need > 600k. 

Cerevisia aestiva

As it's summer, the next set of posts will contain an extra section on the beers I'm drinking this summer. 
The Latin word for beer is cerevisia, which surfaces in the Spanish, cerveza. Aestiva is the Latin for summer.

The first beer I'll review is from Dorn Bräu, a brewery based in the Franconian town of Bruckberg, about 20 km away from me. It's a family owned brewery, founded in 1685, so these guys know what they're doing.  

This beer is what the Germans call "süffig". There is no direct English translation. The word I got was quaffable, but sure who uses that word today? 
Net, net - this is a "helles" - that means golden in colour, smooth malty taste and low in bitterness. At 5%, it's the usual strength of German beer. A great everyday beer!






























No comments: